Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What's up with the name?

The name... hmmm. Not an easy challenge. Finding a name, for me, is like trying to find a pair of shoes that don't make me look like a clown ( I'm 6'5" with a size 13 shoe; that's just about all of them).

Now you want to make it even harder? Try starting a photography company. Literally every word associated with a camera and its various accessories is being used as a name for a photo company. Try it: Shutter, Aperture, Tilt, Lens... and others just sounded funny to start with, like Flash Photography (I feel like that one needs a warning label on that one).

I thought about just going with my own name but, lets face it, that just makes me sound stuck-up. Not to mention the name doesn't sing and looks boring even in script fonts.

This left me with one option: obscure words that had a subtle meaning behind them.

I came up with the name eXChange photography while thinking about my main focus behind starting this thing, I wanted to see the control switch from the photographer to the customer. To many times I have been forced to pay for prints that I didn't like or even want all because the photographer made me feel obligated to pay. I mean what other industry do you know would make you pay for poor work? Even McDonald's will take back their food if you don't like it.

So eXChange, eX- The old way of thinking and welcome the -Change. Not to mention, less subtly, the word exchange refers to a trade. I'm sure i could come up with a million different reasons I love the name, but lets keep it simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment